swimming pool granuloma (mycobacterium marinum)
- An ulcerated surface
- Pseudocarcinomatous hyperplasia of the epidermis
- A dense, diffuse infiltrate in the papillary and deeper dermis consisting mostly of histiocytes and neutrophils, and a variable number of lymphocytes
- A slight tendency for the histiocytes to form into granulomas and a few multinucleated giant cells
- Minimal caseation necrosis.
- Acid-fast bacilli larger than those of M. tuberculosis demonstrated in multinucleated giant cells
Updated Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:30:48 PM